Thursday, August 17, 2017

Stem Cell Transplant, day -7

Yesterday was day -7 (negative) for his stem cell transplant.
6 days of 2 chemos (1 for the first 4 days, 1 for the last 3 days).

I spent the day with him up at the hospital.
I came home last night and got Meg ready for bed- I looked at Simon's bed and thought "he's not going to sleep in this bed for a month."
That was a hard hit.
Then waking up this morning he usually comes out of his room when I'm getting ready for work and just hugs me and says "hi mama."
He wasn't there this morning.

Now I've had lots of mornings throughout the cancer treatments that he's not there.
But knowing that it'll be about a month- it breaks my heart.

Knowing I will only see my husband a couple hours every 2 days and maybe a full day here and there as people volunteer to stay with Simon- it's depressing.

Finding out new side effects that the chemo gives him- maddening.

Why are we using chemicals developed during WW II for weapons to help our children survive cancer?
Why is so little research being done (other than the lack of funds to do so)?

This morning my heart aches for my son and all other children/families going through this.
None of it is fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment